Tuesday, July 26, 2005

more from the mind of mimi smartypants

mimi smartypants:

I know i quote WAY too much of this woman's writing, but you have to read the whole thing to get it. MY GOD she's funny. I wish I were this cool about my kids.

"MASTER OF PUPPETS You may remember the 'Hello, I am a nose' routine. Well, everything is now a puppet. EVERYTHING. Nora's puppet-love has gone way beyond her small collection of finger and hand puppets, and now it is not at all unusual for her to pick up a rock, introduce it in a funny voice ('Hello, I am a rock'), and then badger me into picking up another rock ('Hello, I am another rock') and acting out some awkward, inane dialogue. (Truly, there is not much to say when you're a rock. Although I did teach Nora to exclaim, 'I'm igneous!') It becomes tiresome after a while, but for the most part I am totally down with Nora's lively world of talking inanimate objects.SCENE: Nora is eating peanut butter from a bowl, fingerscoop by fingerscoop, which grosses me out but it has been a 'choose your battles' kind of day. Suddenly she raises one finger-glob of peanut butter into the air and says, 'Hello, I am peanut butter!''Hello, peanut butter!' I reply. 'How's life treating you?''Fine,' says the peanut butter.We attempt some more small talk, me and the peanut butter glob---Nora has him (?) say, 'I came from a bowl' and 'I am sticky and good for your body,' both of which phrases I mentally resolve to try and use the very next time some drunk idiot chats me up in a bar. Then Nora suddenly puts the glob in her mouth, pulls her finger out, and yells in the peanut-butter voice, 'Ahhhh! Where is me?' That, my friends, is Dadaist puppet theater at its best---when the puppeteer suddenly chows down on the star of the show. The end! Curtain! House lights up! Thank you for coming!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home